Japanese Sword Making Tour and Samurai Experience: Learn from a Swordsmith Who Has Made Over 1,000 Swords
Duration: 90 Minutes (approx.)
Japanese swords are loved across the world because of the samurai spirit they capture. Swordsmith Genrokuro Matsunaga has made more than 1,000 Japanese swords in over half of a century in Arao City, Kumamoto Prefecture. He became an apprentice to a swordsmith and became independent at the age of 30. After that, Mr. Matsunaga, who passed a rigorous examination to become a swordsmith, began making swords using the ancient Japanese manufacturing method, tantra iron making, that has been handed down through his ancestors, which you can observe up close.
In addition, Mr. Matsunaga has a wide range of disciples around the world as the head of the Genseikai martial arts Kodai-Ryu Zanshido, which performs trial sword cutting. On the day of the event, you can experience the etiquette of a samurai through a sword trial, which is taught directly by the head family.
And at the end, you will receive a meikiri, a metal plate engraved with your name on it. Have your desired name or words in Japanese (katakana or kanji) or English engraved on it.
You can also see many precious collections such as Japanese swords and armor owned by Mr. Matsunaga.
Click here to see how impressive Japanese swords are made.
《"A 75-year-old swordsmith who has continued to make over 1,000 Japanese swords until ‘The Japanese Sword’ is made."》
- Mr. Matsunaga, who was certified as a swordsmith under rigorous training, teaches directly the technique of making Japanese swords that "does not break, does not bend, and cuts well"!
- Witness a close-up view of the impressive scene of making swords using the ancient Japanese manufacturing method "tatara iron" by Mr. Matsunaga, a swordsmith who has made over 1,000 Japanese swords!
- Mr. Matsunaga, who has disciples around the world, will teach you samurai etiquette. After, experience a serious trial sword cutting from the martial arts Kodai-Ryu Ganshi Do Gensei Kai.
- Receive a one-of-a-kind meikiri, a steel plate engraved with your name and favorite words using a chisel made by Mr. Matsunaga, a swordsmith.
- Take a look at treasures such as precious Japanese swords and armor owned by Mr. Matsunaga, that can only be seen here! Discover the secret story behind each piece.
Choose from two start times, 10:00 or 13:00.
[10:00/13:00] ①Japanese sword-making tour (45 minutes)
Swordsmith Genrokuro Matsunaga directly teaches sword-making.
[10:45/13:45] ②Trial sword cutting/samurai experience (30 minutes)
Learn samurai etiquette from Mr. Matsunaga, who has apprentices all over the world and has experience in trial sword cutting.
[11:15/14:15] ③Tour of treasures, such as Japanese swords and armor, owned by Mr. Matsunaga (15 minutes)
Visit the many valuable collections, such as Japanese swords and armor owned by Mr. Matsunaga, a swordsmith.
Learn the secret story behind each piece."
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Duration：90 minutes
- Meeting point：Matsunaga Japanese Sword Training Center
1907-80 Kawanobori, Arao-shi, Kumamoto, 864-0031 [MAP]
- Access：Take a bus bound for Arao from JR Kyushu Kumamoto Main Line Arao Station, get off at Kawagota, and walk for 7 minutes.
- Language support：Japanese
- Included：Original nameplate
- Clothes：Clothes that you don't mind getting dirty. *Sparks may fly during the sword making tour.
- Participation requirements：Over 10 years old
- Free Wi-Fi：No
- Toilet：Yes (Western style)
- Other things to note：
・Please be aware that sparks may fly when making Japanese swords.
・It will be conducted in Japanese.
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Social distancing enforced throughout the experience
・Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
・Gear/equipment sanitized between uses
・Guides required to regularly wash hands
・Regular temperature checks for staff
・Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
・Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
・Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
・Contactless ticket redemption
7 to 4 days before the tour date: 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date: 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour: 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.