Learn to Spin Thread and Weave With Traditional Chita Cotton
Duration: 90 Minutes (approx.)
Live a unique experience in Chita, known as one of the top three producers of woven cotton fabric in Japan. Delve into the world of traditional weaving by the hand of our expert local weavers and learn how to spin thread and weave in a historic fabric warehouse. Afterwards we will take a pleasant walk around Chita city where you will enjoy Chita’s charming streets.
- Take a journey through the world of Chita cotton, a uniquely soft texture woven used in Japanese clothing since the Edo period.
- Interact with our local people and discover all the secrets of making Japanese traditional woven fabrics.
- Learn how to spin and weave in a historic fabric warehouse
- Enjoy a peaceful walk through retro Japanese streets
- Discover a glimpse of Toyota's origins thanks to research on weaving which the founder of Toyota made
【SCHEDULE】Introduction and explanation of weaving (10 minutes)→Cotton ginning experience (10 minutes)→Cotton twisting experience (10 minutes)→Weaving experience (60 minutes)
【DETAILS】First, we'll explain Chita cotton and the history of the area. The Okada area, where the founder of Toyota is said to have visited, has a very interesting history of flourishing with cotton.
After learning about Chita cotton and the area, the experience begins. First, use a tool to remove the seeds from the cotton. Once the seeds have been successfully extracted, the cotton is twisted and turned into thread. Finally, make coasters and luncheon mats by using a weaving machine and yarn you made.
All of the tools used for the experience, such as the weaving machine, have been used for a long time, so you can feel the history. The local people carefully explain how to make things while having fun and interacting with each other!
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：90 minutes
- Meeting point：Momengura Chita／9, Okada Nakatani, Chita-shi, Aichi-ken
- Access：About 1 hour from Nagoya Station! Take Meitetsu Line from Meitetsu Nagoya Station and alight at Asakura Station. About 20 minutes by car from the station.
- Language support：English, Japanese
- Included：Materials, instructor, and interpreter fees
- Excluded：Travel expenses, Making a luncheon mat (optional), Business card case made of Chitamomen (optional)
- Free Wi-Fi：×
- Toilet：〇 (Japanese-style)
- Other things to note：The tools used in the experience are very valuable, so please treat them with care.
7 to 4 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.