Visit an Ancient Miso Warehouse and Have a Unique Miso Tasting
Duration: 2 Hour(s) (approx.)
【OUTLINE】Hatcho Miso is a type of soybean miso with a distinctive strong flavor originated in Hatcho, Okazaki (Aichi Prefecture).
In the Edo period, two miso warehouses were built in the village of Hatcho (currently in Hatcho Town, Okazaki City, Aichi Prefecture) about 870 meters west of Okazaki Castle, the place where Ieyasu Tokugawa was born. For this reason, this type of soybean miso began to be called “Hatcho Miso”.
- Visit a 400-years-old miso warehouse and discover the fascinating history of the production of Hatcho miso (dark red miso) in Okazaki
- Learn the key to the deliciousness of Hatcho miso, which has been used at a 2-star Michelin restaurant in Paris
- Get familiar with the richness of miso flavors through our exceptional miso tasting.
- Take the opportunity to purchase unique souvenirs made with miso straight out of our miso warehouse
- Enjoy an optional lunch when visiting us in the morning (optional)
【SCHEDULE】Explanation of the history museum (30 minutes)→Visit the miso storehouse (15 minutes)→Taste the dishes using Hatcho miso and the powdered Hatcho miso & questions and answers (15 minutes)→Souvenir shopping (15 minutes)→(Option：Meal(45 minutes）)
First, you will visit the Kakukyu Museum to learn about the company and the history of Hatcho Miso.
After gaining a basic knowledge of Hatcho miso, you can visit the miso storehouse and see the barrels in which the Hatcho miso is fermented. The sight of the big barrels lined up in a row is amazing! There are also wooden barrels that have been used for a long time, giving you a sense of historical value.
After the tour, you can taste the miso soup made with Hatcho miso and Akadashi miso, and learn the difference between them. At the end of the experience, you will be guided to a souvenir corner, where you can purchase miso and related things.
As an option, we also offer a plan with udon noodles stewed in Hatcho miso.
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Time：2 hours
- Meeting point：Reception for the visitors to Kakukyu’s Miso Factory
69 Okan-dori, Hatcho-cho, Okazaki-shi, Aichi-ken
Take Meitetsu Line from Nagoya Station and change train at Shin-Anjyo Station.
Take Meitetsu Line heading to Higashi-Okazaki and take off at Okazakikoen-mae Station.
About 5-minute walk from Okazakikoen-mae Station
- Language support：English, Japanese
- Included：Miso storehouse visit, guide fee, (meal fee)
- Excluded：Travel expenses
- Free Wi-Fi：×
- Toilet：〇 (Western-style)
- Other things to note：
・Please refrain from participating if you are not feeling well.
・You will walk for about 1 hour. If you are worried about walking for a long time, please contact us.
・Please do not enter the restricted area.
7 to 4 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.