Tatami Making Experience：Bring Back a Piece of Japan for Your Home
Duration: 90 Minutes (approx.)
This is an experience of making tatami cushions so you can feel Japan even after going back home. You will be taught by the 4th generation owner of a tatami mat shop founded in the first year of Showa(1926).
- This is an experience of making tatami mats that fit the size of a chair, born from the desire of artisans “to sit on tatami mats even after returning home."
- You can choose from various patterns for the edge, so you can create a design that you like.
- You can also experience the depth of tatami mats used in Japanese houses by using the needles and threads dedicated for making tatami mats.
- The 4th generation of a tatami craftsman will teach you directly.
- You will be able to see Japanese houses which use tatami.
[10:00 / 13:00]After learning about the history and structure of tatami mats, we will take a tour of the tatami mat making process and see the tatami mats in the house. After that, you will choose the edge design to use for the experience.
[10:20 / 13:20] We will explain the procedure.
[10:30 / 13:30]We will sew the edges of the cushion with a large needle.
Tatami：Jananese Flooring MatTatami：Japanese Flooring Mat
After listening to a lecture about tatami mats at the workshop or visiting the tatami mats used in Japanese houses, we will sew the edges of the tatami mats using the special large needles that the artisans actually use. There are various designs for the edge, so you can choose the one you like.
Please let us know the size of the chair that uses the tatami cushion. Tatami cushions are made in a trapezoidal shape. Since the size is decided according to the chair you normally use, please input three lengths of the upper bottom (A), lower bottom (B), and height (C) of the chair seat surface upon booking (please refer to the photo about (A)- (C).
【THINGS TO NOTE】
- Duration：90 minutes
- Meeting point：Sugie tatami store / SAWAKA [MAP]
3 Ouchi, Shinchi, Chita City, Aichi Prefecture, 476-0017
- Access：About 2 minutes on foot from Meitetsu Tsuneki Komi Station
Or about 13 minutes on foot or 3 minutes by taxi from Meitetsu Tokosuri Line Asakura Station.
- Minimum number of participants：2 people
- Language support：Japanese, English（Menu instructions）
- Included ：Experience fee
- Excluded：Transportation, personal, and other expenses are not included.
- Participation requirements ：
・Over 13 years old.
・Strollers are accessible.
・Travelers can easily arrive/depart on public transportation.
・Not recommended for travelers with back problems.
- Special support：Luggage storage is available.
- Free Wi-Fi ：No
【HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES】
・Face masks required for travelers in public areas
・Face masks required for guides in public areas
・Face masks provided for travelers as needed
・Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
・Social distancing enforced throughout the experience
・Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
・Gear/equipment sanitized between uses
・Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
・Guides required to regularly wash hands
・Regular temperature checks for staff
・Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
・Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
7 to 4 days before the tour date 40% of the tour price
3 to 2 days before the tour date 60% of the tour price
The day before the tour date, on the day of the tour 100% of the tour price
※Right after the online settlement is made, a cancellation fee of 10% will be incurred in case of cancellation.
※The cancellation fee includes handling charges.